How to shop for auto insurance quotes online?
Shopping for car insurance? Looking for a better rate? Whether you're a first time buyer, or you've been down this road before, you're thinking about your coverage, and you're looking for auto insurance quotes online. Why not? We buy everything else online, don't we?
Shopping for auto insurance quotes online is pretty much the same as shopping in the phone book, or visiting brick-and-mortar offices. You're looking for a good rate, and you want to be sure that you're covered adequately if you should have the misfortune to be in an accident. Naturally, you don't want to pay more for car insurance than you have to, so you want to take your time and not rush things. This is where online shopping can really benefit you - you're not face-to-face with an insurance agent whose purpose is quite simply to make you buy. You can shop around for car insurance, compare quotes, and come to the right decision in your own time.
Compare insurance coverage and prices
Obviously, you want to make sure that you have the best possible coverage, but you also want to save money. There are all sorts of online calculators that will deliver you auto insurance quotes online from any number of insurance companies that want your business. You'll find, though, that the car insurance quotes you receive can vary a great deal for very similar coverage - sometimes up to more than a thousand dollars a year!
Think About What You Want
You've heard the expression, “garbage in, garbage out?” It's true. When you're using an online calculator, the result you get is only going to be as good as the information you give. So think about what you need. Just as an example, your minimum liability insurance requirement will vary from state to state, so if you enter the wrong figure in the online calculator, you'll get an inaccurate quote. Your car insurance agent can tell you what's required in your state. You can get auto insurance quotes online in just a few minutes, but you want to be sure that it's accurate.
Choosing an Insurance Company
Once you've used an online calculator, you still have more work to do online. You'll want to look up satisfaction reports for the company that you're considering, find out if they offer discounts, and how strong they are in the insurance market. Then, you should get in touch with the company if you have questions that you didn't get answered online.
Find out when the payments are due, what happens if you can't make payments on time, and whether the company offers discounts that might pertain to you.
Does the Quote Seem Right?
If it seems as though your online auto insurance quote is high, consider the following factors:
- How old are you? You might have to pay higher premiums if you're younger. Sorry, that's just the way it is - you're a higher risk.
- What's your gender? Insurance companies consider men to be higher risks.
- Are you married? If you're not, consider tying the knot. Married people get lower rates.
- Have you had driving violations? If you've been caught speeding, your rates will be higher.
- Accident claims - Do we really need to tell you that if you've had an accident, your car insurance rates are going to skyrocket?
- Where do you live? If you're in an urban area, your premiums will be higher. This is simply because there are more people driving, and therefore more accidents.
- Credit rating - If you have a bad credit rating, your insurance company will consider you to be at a higher risk.
- How do you use your vehicle? If you use your vehicle for work, or if you rack up a lot of miles, you have a higher risk of an accident, and your rates will go up accordingly.
The Final Word
It's a good idea to shop around for auto insurance quotes online, and it's also a good idea to consider different carriers. Look for discounts, and be honest when you're using an online calculator. It will benefit you in the end. Contact one of our licensed insurance agents to help you with an auto insurance quote today!